Wednesday, February 23, 2011

short ribs in red wine and port

I actually made this out of order thinking we were making it last Friday rather than the last. Good thing, though, I had already planned on company for dinner. My daughter and I had recently attended a cooking class in Chicago at the Chopping Block where Nick walked us through preparing a meal roughly based on recipes from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The main dish was a Beef Daube served over celery root puree. Never had celery root before and it was absolutely an amazing addition.

I even bought the celery root thinking I'd do that with this recipe but didn't. The sweetness of the sauce seemed as though it would not go well with the celery root.

In the end, I made roasted potatoes....

Chopped vegetables.

Browned short ribs.

Dorie recommended a shirah and I found this at the local Binnys.




Boiling and reducing the vegetables and wines, and then adding the ribs.








Covered the pot with foil and covered to place in the oven. Two hours with the lid and then an additional hour without.



For this beautiful result! I made them the night before and next day removed the ribs and strained the sauce. Ribs in the broiler for about 6 minutes while reducing the sauce a bit more.
Now the bad news, forgot to take a picture. I was watching grandchildren again and got dstracted to the final result is not captured but was absolutely delicious. Here is my only question and will read the other blogs to see what others thought...but next time I think I'll return the ribs to the strained and reheated sauce to warm and forget the broiler part. Cannot see the real value in that step.








9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm jealous of your cooking class. This is a great recipe isn't it?

Kathy said...

How nice to take a cooking class with your daughter! Glad you enjoyed this dish, we really loved this one too!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Ah yes, the picture issue! lol. My weekly nemesis! Great process shots though. i'm losing my patience with them and I shouldn't.

Cher Rockwell said...

Some times those end shots are a little tough to pull off amidst the chaos of the meal hitting the table! As long as everyone enjoyed it, that's what matters.

Mary said...

The cooking class sounds great. I loved this dish too.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

How fun to take a cooking class! One of these days maybe I will get to take one! :) Even without the last photo your step by step photos are lovely! :)

Betsy said...

This one was hard to get a good picture of. Anyway it tasted much better than it looked. I served mine with celery root puree which complemented the ribs perfectly. They were both earthy. Glad you enjoyed thisi recipe.

tricia s. said...

Oh I loved your story about the cooking class with your daughter - that sounds amazing. And you definitely have me wanting to try the celery root. Am adding that to the list. Nana and I loved this recipe and the whole family enjoyed the results. Will definitely repeat this one. And kudos for doing this while babysitting !

The Urban Baker said...

it is the type of recipe you have to do in advance. loved your post