Friday, February 11, 2011

Orange Almond Tart (page 460)

This Friday's recipe was the Orange Almond Tart. The tart uses a Sweet Tart Dough (page 500). I was babysitting for ages 4 and 3 who would not sleep so I cheated and used a pre-made pie crust. Horrible mistake. The crust is so key to this dessert and the pre-made one became tough and almost inedible. (Pillsbury).


Peeled and sliced the oranges...took so long with toddlers! And then left them to drain for several hours.
Have not attempted segmenting oranges before and it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Used a new paring knife that was really sharp. The recipe called for more oranges than I needed. Recipe says 4 and I think I could have gotten by easily with 3...perhaps 2.


















Made the Almond Cream. Almond flour at the local grocery (Jewel) was almost $12.00. I need to find more uses! I don't even think it was a pound. Came together easily and the consistancy and flavor were wonderful.

















Smoothed the Almond Cream into the tart and arranged the orange slices.
















Beautiful.....Almond Paste tasted great...the oranges were an interesting taste contrast. Just sick about the pie dough substitute. Will try again with the proper base!














Also made the Chicken Tangine with Sweet Potatoes and Prunes (page 212). Had all the ingredients and I thought it was great. My husband is a garlic and tomato kind of guy and did not care for the subtle seasoning.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Admire you for trying this with little ones in the house!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Yes, the crust was an incredibly great part of this recipe and added so much to the texture and taste. If you have time I encourage you to try this one again. I know it is hard with so much going on and especially with little ones, but this recipe is worth it. Good job to bake with the children also needing your attention!

tricia s. said...

It looks beautiful ! Kudos to you for plowing forward while babysitting. Sometimes these "Fridays" get esp busy but I am glad you got to try the recipe regardless. I think that is that only way most of us make any progess :)

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad you worked through it. This is really good with the sweet tart crust. The left over almond flour is great for a lot of different kinds of cakes and Italian style cookies - I am sure you will come up with lots of yummy uses!

Lauren said...

Going to make it again! My grandaughter (Hannah 4) is learning to love to cook. I should have made the crust and given her some to play with. Next time!