Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lazy Sunday Cooking

I came late to this French Fridays with Dorie group/project/diversion/blog and....found as I looked through the recipes there were many the group had already made and reported on that I thought I'd try. So...Hachis parmentier and Marie-Helene's Apple Cake!

We go to church Sunday mornings so the alternative of placing meat and aromatics along with water into a crock pot seemed like a perfect solution. I also took advantage of the suggestion to use cubed steak....it was packaged in a way that made it seem cheap ($4.49/lb). Because it was going in the crock pot I only used 3 cups of water rather than 6 cups. Still had more broth than needed.


Cooked in crock pot for 6 hours and removing all the veggies give me this:



Adding sausage (used mild Italian sausage) and frying before adding meat and garlic (optional), one cup of broth.
Made mashed potatoes according to the recipe with a potato ricer...great consistency.
Emmenthaler cheese and a little Parmesan...dotted with butter and into the oven.
Emil Henry pie pan I never use for pies ;)



Yielded this!








We liked it. My husband finished it for lunch on Monday. One suggestion: the cubed steak was dry and flavorless. Next time I think I'll jazz it up with hot Italian sausage or a combination of hot and mild and forget the beef. (Italian husband believes everything must have oregano and garlic to taste good!)
Marie-Helene's Apple Cake....phenomenal. Used granny smith and honey crisp. I seem to be one of the few people that actually own an 8"spring form pan. Have had it for years and did not realize it was an unusual size. Took a little longer than 1 hour to cook through.


Served with lightly sweetened whipping cream.










Best purchase recently and purchased specifically for the size of the Dorie cookbook is visible here.
It is great. Not only does it hold the cookbook but the nature of the "arms" allows you to check easily back and forth between two recipes.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Oh yum! Your apple cake is gorgeous. So glad to see that the right size pan delivers a WOW cake. I've made this one about 5 times now...so simple and we love it. I finally found an 8" springform...so I need to make it again in the right sized pan. Thanks for the tip on the book holder...I have one, but it's a pain going back and forth between recipes...I'll definitely check this one out.