Saturday, March 5, 2011

Savory Cheese and Chive Bread

Again....French Fridays with Dorie (and Hannah and Joshua). So thankful for my grandchildren and the opportunity to spend time with them each week. Add to the mix the desire to participate in the cooking "challenge"....I seem to have found a way to make it even more challenging.

BTW...have another daughter who is pregnant with her first child and we are celebrating with a baby shower (don't know if it is a boy or girl yet) next weekend. I am cooking!

Therefore there are two baking adventures detailed here. One mine, one Hannah's.


I decided to add scallions and sundried tomatoes along with the gruyere cheese in my version of the bread. I liked it, thought I could have baked it longer.



The recipe called for an 8 x 4 inch pyrex preferred pan. Mine is 9 x 5 and I made the assumption (as stated) that it would be done sooner...and was sidetracked by the other baking adventure. Did the knife test in a few places and it seemed to come out done, did not want to overbake. The center core, however, was not completely done and the top could have been more golden.



Also, I see what she meant by not beating the dough aggressively in fear of the end result having a doughy taste...I tried to restrain myself in the beating but still thought it a bit "doughy". All in all not a favorite with the children but adults liked it.


Dough with the addition of scallions and sundried tomatoes. Did not mix aggressively at this point.








Finished product....too lightly colored....




Cupcake experiment with Hannah. Found this large cupcake mould by Nordicware and wanted to see what the size of the finished cake would be, quantities etc. Purchased two having measured an 8" cake pan and thinking that each mould was the equivalent. (In photo sitting on a salad plate.)
Then had Hannah help me by making a box chocolate mix. She was happy to do all the mixing herself. Even let her break one the eggs.
At the end of the day my husband came home from a trip and brought these flowers. Could not resist adding....great surprise...wonderful man!

3 comments:

tricia s. said...

Great post- kudos for getting it all done with the little ones..and what a wonderful photo of a little Hannah ! Congrats on the upcoming new addition and good luck with the shower.

Cher Rockwell said...

What great help! Two projects at once - you are very brave! But those kinds of projects are the very best.

Lauren said...

She is learning to love to cook...no pressure...just join in!