Friday, January 28, 2011

chicken b'stilla









Okay....it's Friday and I am making chicken b'stilla from the "around my french table" by Dori Greenspan. I am totally unfamiliar with this dish and idea. From her introduction I understand there is Moroccan influence in this dish and there is also in some of the Spanish food I have more experience preparing.....great flavors and smells.



I am also using a new "dutch oven". I have been coveting the Le Creuset 5 qt but the least expensive price I've seen is still about $200.00. Searching at Bed Bath and Beyond I found a Frontenac by Staub for $99.00 and with my "never expiring" 20% off coupon I purchased this one for about $70.00. Not made in China....made in France. The pot seems as heavy as the Le Creuset, but the lid needs to be moved to make sure that it completely covers the pot.


Began by chopping onions, garlic, removing the skin from the chicken thighs, measuring spices.




Placed all ingredients in the pot with the onions and put in the refrigerator to marinate for a few hours while I ran errands.




In the meantime, I also made broth from backs and wings I'd been saving in the freezer.





Returned home....allowed the chicken to warm to room temperature, strained and added the chicken broth.









So far pot seems to be reacting the same as the Le Creuset. Nice, slow, even boil.







Ready to go into the oven...filo sheets are 9 x 14 and we were called to make a 10 - 11 inch circle of the filo to cap the b'stilla. Felt challenged....


Notes: was glad for the hint by another member (sorry for not identifying cannot remember) to put a cup of water into the pan before I added the broth to have an idea of the 1 cup reduction volume. Still adding the lemon, and then egg and honey (slowly, continuously whisking for 5 minutes) and waiting for the sauce to thicken so that I could see the trail of the whisk did not happen even after 8 minutes or more. Gave up and added the chicken. Perhaps I just don't know what a whisk trail should look like.



Just checked at the 20 minute mark....turned down the heat to 350 and needed to cover with foil. Browning quickly....











Tasted great. Thank you fo rthe suggestion!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

It looks fabulous! I think I am going to Bed, Bath & Beyond...what a great find and a great price for your dutch oven.

Cher Rockwell said...

Very nice! Glad it turned out for you.
I absolutely love, love, love my Dutch oven - so enjoy yours. I was able to score a steal on a discontinued color from a Le Creuset outlet or I probably would never have bought one from there, but you definitely got the better deal! Staub makes good stuff, I think you are going to be happy.